Saturday 12 December 2015

A FORWARD STEP TOWARDS NATIONAL INTEGRATION

Just a while back, I witnessed the Annual meet of the Indegenous Sports of Manipur, broadcast live on DD Sports. I thought it was a forward step towards much needed National Integration. But more of it later.

Many, over the years, have asked me the same question, "Where are you from?"

My answer, without exception, has been, "From India". After a tolerant smirk, I am asked again, "OK, but ...." and my prompt reply has been, "Sorry, even if you ask me a million times, my answer will remain the same".

Dear sisters, brothers and friends of Bharat, my answers, have been truly accurate to the last comma and fullstop. 

As per known records with me, my forefathers lived for three generations in the North West till my great grandfather moved to the East, married there, not once but twice, (He had only one wife at a time!), before moving to UP, where we spent the next three generations, before I and my family made our permanent residence at Pune. My forefathers were all eminent people, men of letters and of sciences. I am the least educated of them all and have struggled all my life to live up to the standards set by them.

I was fortunate, during my childhood at Lucknow to have been bequethed a huge library, from which I read the philosophies of every major faith at a comparitively very young age and thought I new everything, only to later discover how little I really knew of the complexities of the vast land called India. 

It is only after I joined the Army in June 1960, that I was exposed to the vastness of India. It is only then that I learnt the real meaning of National Integration in its truest form.

At Indian Military Academy, my room mate was a surd, who taught me not only what was 'fifty' and how to fold and tie a 'pug' but also to speak Punjabi and read Gurmukhi straight from his pocket edition of the Granth Sahib. I will always remain indebted to my first 'Sardar Friend' and fondly remember all the escapeds we had had as first termers.

A little later in the IMA, my three best friends were Lawand, Gawand and Ponkshe, all born and brought up in the land of Shivaji and learnt why 'Panditji', in my school, used to compare the sound of Marathi language as the sweet jingling sound produced by 'kamandal' filled with water and small pebbles.

Having been commissioned into the Madras Sappers, I had to learn Tamil in quick time to impress the impressionable 'Tambi' recruits in our Centre, (I was the Asstt Weapon Training Officer), something that sealed my bond with my boys, throughout my following 25 yrs active service. 

I learnt not just the Tamilian culture but also those of the other three Southren states. I experienced the intense friendly competition between the Pongal and Onam barakhanas, as to which of them produced the greater number of dishes on the bannana leaves.

Army taught me that the Mandir/Gurdwara, Masjid and the Church must exist side by side as a standing testimony to National Integration.

With the second home of all Engineer officers being College of Military Engineering, Pune, I met my future wife at Pune, fell in love at first sight and married her; though she was born and brought up at Pune, her both parents were Kanadigas.

My 'Bahu' is Konkani speaking and my son-in-law Tamil speaking. My son and his family are setlled in Canada and my daughter and her family in the USA. their children speak only English, but what matters is that they are well versed in the Indian Mythology and Folklore and are doing exceedingly well in their respective pursuit of excellance.

After their mother became dear to God, the children and the grands were keen that I settled with them, but to me my India is the greatest. I speak and write for and against issues here, because it is MY own Country, My India, 'Mera Bharat'. I will never have the same feelings there.

I don't wish that my mortal remains become a burden on the land of my Country by occupying a piece of it.  My entire body is, therefore, already donated to AFMC/organ donation/medical research. I came with nothing and shall go with nothing. My mortal remains must, however, be a small gift to the sisters, brothers and friends of my Country, for whatever it would be worth. 

During my Army service, I had the occassion to know about the composite Manipuri culture of the Meities and the Bishnupriyas, the ones who came from the East and the others who came from the West. Its not important, who came first and who next. What is important and a lesson for all of us Indians is that together they made a common culture, the Manipuri Culture. I simply love it. I love everything Manipuri.

It is from this angle do I appreciate the initiative of DD to bring the cuturalal ethos of various parts of the Country for all Indians to see, understand and appreciate the Unity in Diversity

Thank You DD.


No comments:

Post a Comment